Monday, April 10, 2017

Quiet Hours

Most nights I don't sleep well. I find myself waking up quite a few times and I struggle to fall back asleep. This usually happens between 2 and 5 AM. There is always a stillness, a gentleness about this time of morning. There are no real expectations, no deadlines to meet, no people to talk to.
I used to fill this time by picking up my phone and watching Netflix or by reading a book or by listening to music. None of these practices are particularly harmful but I always felt as if there was something better I could do with my time.
Up until about three years ago, prayer had always just been something I had done at church and maybe every once in a while if I felt sad or angry. However, in my last couple years and this year in particular, that has not been the case.
These early hours, this quiet time where I am free to do as I please, have become one of my ultimate joys in life. Some of my biggest life decisions up to this point have been made during these hours. Most of my long talks with God happen during these hours.
Waking up very early, something that used to bother me a lot, has become one of the reasons for the relationship with God that I have. Something that used to be a big issue for me has become one of my greatest blessings. Lately, I have been thinking about how I put that into practice in my life during the day, when I become busy and often forgetful of my duty to pray. If only there was a way for me to take the lessons I have learned in my quiet time and make them a reality in my every day life.
The way, I think, to do this requires a shift in the way that I see things. How do I see things? Especially things that I don't like? If I can turn something like irregular sleep into a major positive, imagine what I can do with other things. If my daily activities, especially the ones that seem tedious, turn into something that will help me grow instead of something that wastes my time, how could that change my life?
Beginning to see negative aspects of my life as challenges to get over and help me grow as opposed to things that weigh me down has been something I have been trying to work on lately. We, as Christians are called to do this in our everyday life. We are not called to fall victim to challenges in our life, we are called to use those hardships to strengthen us as people and as disciples. Think about what you can change in your life. What issue is weighing you down that desperately needs to be turned into a positive? Imagine what the world would be like if everybody felt empowered by their hardships rather than tied down by them. Think of how ambitious, fearless, imaginative, and loving people would be. In order for us to be the best versions of ourselves, we must begin to think positive.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." Don't forget to thank God for something today. Be positive my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment